Saturday 8 July 2017

NGO version of Frank Sinatra’s “I did it my way …”

…. And, so, here is an NGO version of Frank Sinatra’s “I did it my way …” 



And now, the grant is over
And so I face my annual challenge
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's not viewed as “impactful”
I've travelled each and every district
But more, much more than this
I couldn’t do it my donor’s way

Regrets, I've had many
But then again, joys a few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without tax exemption

I carefully planned each course
Each careful step along the foundation’s way
But more, much more than this
I couldn’t do it my donor’s way 

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more on admin than on program
But through it all, when there was doubt
My Board ate me up and my funder spit me out

I faced it all and I stood small
And did it my funder’s way
I've tried strategy, scale and impact
Yet had my fill, my share of losing

And now, as tears subside
I find it hardly amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say - not in my way

Oh no, oh no, not me
I could never do it my way
For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has naught

To say the things he truly feels to the donor
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
But, still could not do it my donor’s way

Yes, it was seldom my way .....

Noshir H. Dadrawala
(With apologies to my all time favourite vocalist Frank Sinatra .... I am sure he too would empathise)


No comments:

Post a Comment